Tuesday, July 19, 2011

busy as a bee

family

it's something that so many people take for granted. This past weekend was my mom's side family reunion.. and I missed it. While here in the puddle I was talking with some of my buddies about how much I wish I could have been there.. I could've seen Tilly, B, and Stella... My Ma, stepdad and Batman... Totally Tony and his family ( I lived with them for a year.. they are immediate family).. My mom's sisters... the Brandhams ( extended family but I'm close with) but the one person I would've loved to see would have been my Great Uncle Guido. He's my Grandpa's brother... he's the only one left...

I was really close with my grandpa.. we did everything together when I would go down to the farm.. we were stuck like glue. He taught me to do lots of things in life. He taught me life lessons as we drove around the fields in his truck. He was honest with me and I was honest with him. He taught me to play baseball and we shared the love of the Yankees.He taught me how to shoot the gun he'd look at me and say "Annie go get your gun" and I'd go grab it from the gun case and off we were shooting gophers or shooting the tins off the fence posts for practice. He taught me about wheat .. how to know when it was ready and when it wasn't .. he worried about me.. when my parents split up he would call me and my sister .. just to make sure we were ok. Til and I were very lucky to have the relationship we did with Grandma and Grandpa Pontarollo.. Mama and Papa... Til was Grandma's and I was Grandpa's .. and everyone in town knew it. Til and I would spend our time down there with them whether it was reading the comics with Grandpa and the word searches.. gonig out to the garden with Grandma (when she had the big one ) and eating carrots, lettuce, radishes and corn for dinner /... obviously sneaking in fresh carrots and peas and ruining our dinner but hey when your a kid thats how it goes. Til and I loved our time down there we always had something to do .. Gram and Gramps only had 3 channels so TV wasn't really much of an option only really for the 11:00 news.. it was good though we got to enjoy the little things in life.. when there were sheep on the farm we were determined to catch them or collect lambs tails ( yes, I took them in for show and tell) ... we'd go up on the hill and play in the rocks or watch the hill for coyotes... There were days when Grandpa and I would just go for a drive.. we'd listen to country music and just drive the country... I loved haying season .. I was too little to drive the tractor by myself cuz I didn't weigh enough was Grandpa's excuse .. but I got to ride in the tractor with him all day long.. of course yapping his ear off but he didn't care. He'd yap mine off right back... one summer Ma took us down there with proper manners and English and we came back saying "huh?" and "What" ... Grandpa got after me for saying Pardon all the time he said it was a stupid word.. so I stopped saying it and copied him with "huh?" ...When I was 14 Grandpa got sick... the doctors said he got bell's palsy and the side of his face became paralyzed.. we went down there for teacher's convention to visit and as soon as I saw him I got really scared... I knew he didn't have long.. On March 26th we were all at home and Grandma called late ( as she always did) and Mom sat down on the hearth in front of the fire place as soon as she said what happened I knew something happened with Grandpa.. he had fallen down and couldn't get up and was in the hospital. Mom made me go to school the next day because I had a field trip to the museum that day.. They moved Grandpa up to the Foothills Hospital in Calgary ... I went and saw him as much as I could we would just sit there.. I had to make sure my homework was done if I wanted to visit him tho... I would be doing my homework on the bus on the way home from school so I could go spend time with him... he would try and talk to me and would get frustrated because his mouth wouldn't work.. it was as tough for me to handle it as it was for him I think.. Grandpa was a proud strong man.. he was the oldest of the Pont boys and the man everyone looked up to.. to see the Man of my dreams .. the most influential in my life laying there in a bed.. sick.. helpless and dying and not being able to do anything about it ... it killed me.. They eventually moved Grandpa back down to Cardston after they operated and made him comfortable ... he had cancer and there was nothing they could do to help it ... We got the call that he was burning up and didn't have long.. Til and I were out for the day and Mom and Stepdad were in Saskatoon with Totally Tony... we got Tils BF at the time to drive us down to Cardston and Mom and SD and everyone ripped to Alberta ( they got stuck in a construction zone and finally one of the workers came to talk to them.. they told them what was going on and they needed to get there and all traffic stopped and they were on their way.. it amazes me still today how great some people in the world are and how compassionate).. we got to the hospital and Gramps was just shaking but sweating at the same time... I looked at Grandma and the look I'll never forget I knew.. We just hungout until the Sunday.. and that's when Grandpa told Grandma to send us home.. he didn't want us to see him get any worse..I bawled I didn't want to leave.. I knew what was going on.. When I went into say goodbye..I hugged him said "I love you so much I don't want you to leave,I'm gonna miss you so much" and he looked at me and said " I love you too kid ... you're gonna be alright .. Be a good Kid and be good for Grandma.. you're gonna do good in whatever you do" he looked me straight in the eye and his eyes welled up with tears I hugged him one last time and left the room. That was the last conversation me and Grandpa had,.. he went that night... I spoke at the funeral.. did a reading from the book of revelation.. II don't know how I did it ... It was weird only face I saw when I looked out was my cousin Kestin's .. everything else was a blur...

Grandpa was a hard gruff spoken man on the exterior on the inside he was a big teddy bear... he was the only person who got me.. he understood me completely.. we could sit in the truck and say nothing and life was good... he was my anchor.. he kept me grounded... he taught me to work hard.. and to be passionate about everything I do... I'd like to think he'd be proud of me and who I've grown up to be ... it's taken me a while but I think I've finally got it... He knew me I never did things the easy way.. it was the Ruby way of doing things! Gramps and I shared a lot of laughs a lot of great memories ... I feel he left me too soon.. I was angry I still am... I wish I got more time with him... but it was his time to go... He had every aspect of what people should aspire to be ... he worked hard and just enjoyed life... he enjoyed the little things like fishing and picnics and stopping to watch an eagle soar. he was the rock of the family for me and when he left grandma stepped in... The day Grandpa died.. Grandma and I both lost the loves of our life! The relationship I had with him I would never take back.. sure he gave me a swift kick in the ass when I needed it but we respected each other and enjoyed eachothers company.. he was an amazing man he knew how to calm me down when I'd get upset .. he saw my potential and fixed my flaws or just taught me to embrace them... he was an amazing man and not a day goes by when I don't think of him... a friend of mine wants to buy me a tattoo... it will be a tribute to Grandpa.. it will be an old school anchor on my left ribs! I can't wait! Here is a picture of Grandpa.


Love that man with all my heart and miss him so so much! Family is the most important thing anyone has going.. you should appreciate them and never ever take them for granted as one day they will be gone and you wont have any time left. It's beter to live life without regrets and tell everyone how much you love them! You can pik your nose but not your family ... as for me I know I wouldn't wannna change a thing! xx

Ruby

1 comment:

  1. A tattoo.....the man didn't go for stuff like that, just so you know, where do you think I got it from. Anyway, the Yankee post might not of teared me up, but this did

    ReplyDelete